Looking for creative upcycling ideas? Listed here are some of the ways we can transform obsolete items in to functional and beautiful objects of contemporary design.
People are so creative, the best thing to do is to start on an upcycling project, you will be amazed at how you will become absorbed and focused. Being in this state of concentration and flow will allow your mind to embrace many creative ideas. Soon you will be an upcycling addict.
1. Use old plastic bottles as the brick to create a eco friendly functional green house.
2. Use bottles as a window.
3. Old beer bottles can be used as an edge or as kerb stone in the garden.
4. Create design with a wire cutters and old aluminium cans, make garden mobile and wind chimes.
5. Make felt, wash old jumpers with soap at high temperature, wash with cold water, dry laying flat or in dryer to increase density of felt. Cut in to 6 inch squares. Make bags, clothes, fun for kids and adults.
6. Steam punk jewelry. Use old pieces of jewelry, clock and watch pieces to create stunning pieces.
7. Upcycle cardboard boxes, build forts and castles for children to get involved in making and playing in.
8. Origami seed pots. Make seed pots from old newspapers, with an origami design and when plant shoots start to grow, plant in ground as paper is bio degradable.
9. Make bird feeder from old tetra packs, milk and juice cartons. Hang in garden.
10. Sock puppets, an old upcycling idea but still an effective way to reuse old socks and get kids creating.
11. Upcycle furniture. Paint effects, wall paper and decoupage are all creative ways to transform old pieces of furniture in to contemporary pieces of functional modern art.
12. Remove labels, drill holes in bean tins to make stunning garden lanterns, add a handle and hang in various places in the garden for a shabby chic barbeque feel.
13. Hang old plates on walls using double sided sticky tape and ribbons.
14. Use old tires as planters in the garden.
15. Make cool stools, layer up old magazines, belt a cushion to the top and create stools.
16. Reuse old cutlery as door handles, coat hooks, if you are creative make jewelry stands and lanterns.
17. Make an ottoman, with a pallet, cushions and wheels.
18. Spray old toy dump trucks and diggers, use as garden planters.
19. Cover boxes with wall paper paste and use for keep sakes.
20. Reuse glass jars with lids to store pasta, lentils and chickpeas. Looks good inside kitchen presses.