Sometimes we get carried away in life with so much things to do and things to see. But there are some things that we must not overlook are things inside and outside of our homes. Our home is very important to us, it is where we live, meet others, sleep, eat, raise children and pass our time. That is why it is so important that this home of ours is kept in good shape. Throughout my experience and also talking to home inspectors I have came up with a list of items around our homes that need regular maintenance. These maintenance items can be checked either by the owners themselves or by hiring a home inspector. These inspections around our home can even save us from future problems and costs to repair the damages.
1) Clean the gutters in the spring & fall.
2) Check for damaged roofing and flashing materials twice a year.
3) Cut back trees and shrubs from the house walls, roof and air conditioning system as needed.
4) Clean the tracks on horizontal sliding windows annually, and ensure the drain holes are clear.
5) Test ground fault circuit interrupters, carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors using the test button, monthly.
6) Service furnace or boiler yearly.
7) Check furnace filters, humidifiers and electronic air cleaners monthly.
8) Check the bathtub and shower caulking monthly and improve promptly as needed.
9) If you are in a climate where freezing occurs, shut off outdoor water faucets in the fall.
10) Check reversing mechanism on the garage door opener monthly.
11) Check attics for evidence of leaks and condensation and make sure vents are not obstructed, at least twice a year.